Although few personal details are known about the life of the illustrious Shagas Aryeh, there are those few that have filtered down to us.
The three that are most commonly known would be;
1. His name, Rabbi Aryeh Leib (ben Asher) Gunzberg.
2. After years of wandering, he lived out his last years in the Alsacian city of Metz, and died at the ripe old age of 90.
3. He was survived by one daughter and a son, Asher (Wallerstein), who by some account was a bigger scholar than his father.
The only problem is, that none of this information is acctully accurate.
1. The Shagas Aryehs name was Aryeh Leib, but not Gunzberg!
2. He did live out his years in Metz, but didn't live till 90!
3. He had more a number of offspring who survived him, as well as those who, unfortunately pass away during his life.
I hope to elaborate on these 3 points, and other, in the coming posts. Please let me know which one you like to know about first.